Monday, July 19, 2010

Grandma & Grandpa's house

One of my favorite places to visit is my Grandpa's house in West Virginia. He and my Grandma built it together in the late 50s and have lived in it ever since. I consider the house to be a portrait of the two of them because they built it using their vision and aesthetic.

My Grandma passed away this spring so these images have definitely become more sentimental. The image below was often her view as she sat on the porch and hummed or talked with the neighbors. Pretty isn't it?

It's strange how an image of a sink can remind me of so many great breakfasts and dinners. I can also smell the soap they used to wash the dishes. This is why I love taking pictures. A picture can capture the most personal and sometimes smallest details that we may otherwise forget.

The next two images below were taken inside my Grandpa's garage. This is where he keeps his plethora of tools and handy supplies. Gosh I can smell the scent of gasoline and feel the dampness of the space. I just love how he organizes everything, it speaks so much to his personality.

Do you use photography to capture the small details in life? I challenge you to take several pictures of a family member's house. Consider it a time capsule. Try to take images of things that you normally wouldn't think to take. Ex: the view from their window, an image of their jewelry box, how they organize a closet, etc. You will not regret capturing the small details.


3 comments:

  1. Aw, Sheena I love this idea. I know what you mean about being able to smell something just from looking at a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sheena, you captured their house perfectly. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you guys like the post! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete