Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday (fine) art

202 Billboard Structures by Jenny Odell

Jenny Odell searches Google's maps for various satellite collections - billboards (shown above), swimming pools, parking lots, basketball courts, etc.  She says, "Though geographically they represent a vast (and fragmented) amount of landscape, the collections carry with them the feelings of smallness, vulnerability and nostalgia that I find inherent in satellite imagery."

For Christmas I bought my brother and sister-in-law a print of Odell's collection of 125 Stadiums (image below) from 20 x 200.  One thing I like most about her work is how she arranges the geographic landmarks to create a very graphic - and balanced- pattern.  At first it reads as an abstract design, but upon closer inspection, the subject matter is recognizable. 


I'm having one of those, "bah - why didn't I think of that" moments.  Oh well.  Good Job, Jenny Odell.  I like it.  

Have an awesome weekend,

sc

No comments:

Post a Comment