Saturday, December 1, 2012

Baby Abel's mobile

Sorry for the long absence but we've been pretty busy preparing for the arrival of our sweet baby boy, Abel Kye.  He was born Friday, November 23rd weighing 7lbs 12 oz and stretching out to 21 3/4 inches.  (So that's why his kicks were pretty brutal in my belly).

Prior to his birthday, I crafted up a storm in order to decorate his nursery.  One thing I definitely wanted to make was his mobile.  I researched a bunch of mobiles on etsy and blogs and came across one that I knew I could make myself.  Unfortunately, I did not save the link and cannot find the shop anymore!  Ugh- I'm sorry.  I'll keep searching.

Here's how I made the mobile:

1.  I drew woodland animals onto cotton muslin using black permanent pen.  I decided on a bear, a squirrel, raccoon, fox, and wolf.  Any animal would work but I liked choosing ones that lived in similar habitats.


2.  Then I cut around the drawing and sewed them to assorted cotton fabrics.








3.  Next I attached white string to the tops and tied the strings onto a white clothes hanger.  Sorry for the lack of pictures for this step, but you get the idea.  Just bend the hanger into a circle and tie the animals.





You can see the mobile hangs in front of a vintage painting.  The artist of this painting is actually my Mom as a high school art student.  She painted her boyfriend's football picture.  Her boyfriend? - my Dad.  

Hope you all have a fabulous weekend,

sc

6 comments:

  1. This is the cutest nursery ever. What are you going to craft for it next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Angie :). taking a much needed break from the crafts. i still need to finish my diy rug - but every time i look at it I want to puke.

      Delete
  2. I love it! I want to see more of his nursery!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Emily :) i'll try to post more pics. can't wait to chat!

      Delete
  3. So my art work is vintage now? Oh boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE! Congrats to the Custer's!!!

    ReplyDelete