Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ceramic Tiles

For the past month, I've had the pleasure of working with artist-in-residence, Parran Collery.  Parran came to my elementary school as part of a Maryland State Arts Council grant and PTA funded program (thank you PTA!).  She has quite the reputation as a ceramic artist on the eastern shore and certainly won over the hearts of my students as she taught them clay slab techniques.

Parran worked with my 5th, 4th, and 3rd graders to create clay tiles.  The 5th graders created tiles inspired by the Chesapeake Bay region while the 4th graders focused on ecosystems.  Since our third graders are currently raising two baby terrapins to be released into the Bay this May, their clay tiles focused on our school's terrapins, Lucky and Squirt.  

Here are a few examples from this unit...







Aren't they awesome?  I'll post more images as I finish uploading them (all 315 of them....).  Also be on the look-out for images of our clay mural that we worked on while making the tiles.  That's how we roll at Crofton Woods.

Have a great week,
sc

1 comment:

  1. Hi m sam parker i am a designiner and now m working on blogs i m learn about the blogs when m searching bolgs on google then i found your bolg its good for me because your bolg is very good your blogs desigin is very good i like it its realy help me to get an idea about how to design a blog

    ReplyDelete