Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In memory of Don Cook



Over the weekend I learned of the passing of my friend, mentor, and past art professor, Don Cook. Don was my Studio instructor during grad school at the Maryland Institute College of Art. He encouraged me with long discussion about my work and asked questions that further pushed my thinking and ability. His encyclopedic knowledge of authors and artists was inspiring and helpful in that he introduced me to several artists and authors such as,
Unica Zurn, Joseph Cornell, and Henry Darger, each contributing to my final body of work in one way or another.

Don was an established artist and writer within the Baltimore community. His work was often on view in local galleries, most recently involving the transformation of Emily Dickinson poems into visual interpretations, see image below.


He will truly be missed but I know he is finally at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment