Thursday, August 5, 2010

Talented artist- Kali Haney

I remember meeting Kali on my first day of grad school. I'm not sure if she remembers this, but we were touring our studio spaces preparing to move in when we both introduced ourselves. She said "my name is Kali, like Cali-fornia," (As a teacher who has to learn over 500 names, I appreciated the name association). Instantly, I liked her friendly personality and her talent for making others feel comfortable. What strikes me most about Kali are her seamless connections between being a great friend, an amazing artist, and a wonderful mother to her beautiful daughter Zaida (who is such a cutie you have no idea).

Kali pulls imagery and symbols from her personal experience to create striking compositions. Full of color and rich subject matter, each piece is a reflection of Kali and her aesthetic. However, each piece can be interpreted differently depending on the viewer and depending on which stage they are in life. That is what attracts me most to Kali's work -I get a different response (whether emotional, or conceptual) each time I go back to view her work.
Kali adds,
"I consider my work to be a visual journal of sorts. The images I use are collected in my subconscious and emerge in my daydreams as symbols. Each work allows me to process, organize and gain a clear understanding of my thoughts. My most recent body of work expresses thoughts through imagery related to family, fertility and motherhood."
Take a look at Kali's work. The titles are above each image.

Multiplicity
Imbalance, 2008
Hopeful
Anticipation, 2009
Past, present, future, 2008


I hope you enjoyed Kali's work! Feel free to leave comments or questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment